Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thank you Fiji!!



I have learned so much here and gained so much valuable experience. Reading through some of my blog entries, I seem a little negative at times. The fact is I am so thankful for this wonderful opportunity that was given to me. Thank you to my residency program and especially Dr. Malya for sparking global health interests.


On South Sea Island looking at mainland Viti Levu

Thank you to all the physicians and nurses from Fiji! They have limited resources and know it but when thrown obstacles, they (with a happy face) find alternative ways to manage their patients. I am glad to have got to spend some time with these dedicated physicians and staff! Many of the residents, on their few days off come to the ED (also the wards and ICU) to follow up on their patients (there is no true electronic medical records). They do this for 2 purposes; one is for their continued medical education and second for patient care. I truly admire their dedication. My deepest gratitude for allowing me to learn, practice, and teach medicine in this environment!


Rockstar Dr. Mesu doing follow ups on his day off!
Other things here: The docs wear hawaiian-esque  shirts to work with sulus/sarongs and sandals. Very laid back feel. Also its super hot here! I wish I took a picture.
Outside the presidential palace

Cannibal caves


Indian sweets carts


South Sea Island


Daily milking of the cows

Relaxing time

Delicious curried lobster
Ate a LOT of yummy food here

Big sea cucumber
Perfect day to go kayak
Met a lot of interesting people
Little goats run around everywhere

Now for a whole day of traveling to go back home!!

Anytime things take exponential long to occur or someone is late, the response is, "It's ok. We operate on Fiji time"





1 comment:

  1. Fiji looks very beautiful and the people there look like they're very kind, I can't wait to go there one day.

    ReplyDelete